Stone Arch Bridge

Stone Arch Bridge
Mill City

Monday, February 22, 2010

Do you believe in miracles?

Does that saying ever bring back some great memories of the USA men's hockey team beating the Soviets 4-3 in Lake Placid 30 years ago today.

Do you remember where you were?

I sure do. I was a college student at the University of North Dakota> I was a TV announcer for UND-TV 3 getting ready to broadcast a Sioux hockey game that Friday night. I had to be at the arena early so I actually didn't get to see the telecast of the game. But the memories of when they announced the score at the old Winter Sports Center is something that I will never forget. The arena erupted and the crowd chanted USA, USA, USA for a long time.

Since many of the players were from the WCHA I had the chance to interview most of them as they had come through UND in prior years. Talking with Herb Brooks that fall when the US Olympic team played an exhibition game against the Sioux is something I'll always cherish. Herb was nice enough to grant an interview to a young college broadcaster. If you were passionate about hockey that's all Herb cared about.

This fall I read the new biography on Herb Brooks written by John Gilbert a former StarTribune sportswriter. It was fun to re-live those days of that team and of course the great hockey played in the WCHA during that time. I've always soaked up everything that I could about this team whether it's been books or movies. It was a special group of kids that really did prove that you can do anything if you have the desire.

So yes Al Michaels I do believe in miracles. And as I sat watching NBC with Al Michaels talking to Mark Johnson, Jim Craig and Mike Eruzione yesterday afternoon - I did have the emotion wave over me again. And it was fun to share that special time with my kids. Now they understand what the Miracle on Ice team is all about. My son Anders in our walk last night talked all about the game and all the political turmoil that was going in the world back in 1980. And it was fun to see him soak it all in. And then we watched the USA beat Canada last night and he asked is this another miracle on ice Dad? And I said it almost felt like it.

Do you remember where you were back on 2/22/1980?

No comments:

Post a Comment