Stone Arch Bridge

Stone Arch Bridge
Mill City

Monday, October 4, 2010

The power of a Thank You note

I received a beautiful hand written thank you note in the mail last week and it reminded me how powerful a note like that can be.

It is an art that seems to have been lost. Think about how many hand written thank you notes you get these days? Most likely none and some even come by way of email.

Yes I believe the hand written thank you note is a thing of the past for many people. This very simple act to send someone a thank you note for something that they have done - it is a powerful form of communication. If you don't write thank you notes I challenge you to write one. Go ahead pick up a pen and jot a note to someone - make their day.

I learned the art of writing notes from my Mother - one of the last great letter writers. She set a great example for me and I will try to do the same and to teach my children to do the same. It is sometimes easy to say oh I don't need to send a note because they never send me a note. But that attitude becomes pervasive and then no one writes thank you notes.

So take this challenge and send a hand written note to someone who has done something nice for you. Let's not let this simple act of common courtesy go by the wayside in our increasingly complex lives.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree - nothing beats a handwritten note. Period. I have a friend that has a 3-month old, and I sent her a small note every month she was pregnant. She loved them, and it took a total of 30 seconds a month to write and send the note. Perfect way to make someone's day!

    ReplyDelete