Stone Arch Bridge

Stone Arch Bridge
Mill City

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Friday night spots and social media

This past Friday night I was watching some of March Madness (NCAA Men's BB) on CBS and the WCHA Final Five hockey games on FSN. And via a live feed on the computer I was watching my high school team compete in the North Dakota HS Boy's Basketball tourney. Lots of juggling and it was a blast.

But you know what made it all doable? I was listening and conversing with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter via my iPhone. And did I say I was also texting with a friend at the X watching the hockey games. I was a juggling machine and engaged in many sports games at one time. It was a sports feast all made possible by digital technology.

Four years ago I would not have been able to interact with friends and family while consuming all these sports events. But it is 2010 and for me and many others the way we are going to be watching live TV has changed forever. We are literally watching live TV and then conversing about it over a "virtual water cooler".

Whether it has been the Super Bowl, the Grammy's and the Academy Awards this year has been a year of change with the opportunity to connect with friends and others via the social media platforms. And the TV ratings for all activities were up this year. Clearly social media is changing the way that we watch and interact with major and minor TV events.

The ability to converse with others about something that you are passionate about it is a great deal of fun. It adds to the excitement and interest in the actual activity.

How about you - are you using social media to converse while watching your favorite TV event/show? Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment