Stone Arch Bridge

Stone Arch Bridge
Mill City

Monday, March 1, 2010

Have you Four Squared yet?



Have you tried Four Square yet?

Foursquare.com has become one of hottest new tools in the social space. If you haven’t heard about it is a location-based social network where users “check in” wherever they might be. And whoever checks in the most at a specific location becomes the “mayor”. Well I’ve always wanted to be a mayor how about you?

I’d say that most people are saying “who cares” and you know what that’s what most people said about Twitter a few years ago. And I believe that Twitter just published a stat that over 50 million tweets are made each day. So Twitter has had a bit of an impact in the social media world. Will Four Square ever has this much impact - who knows?

I’ve been using foursquare for about a month now and I’m really interested in where it could go. I think the opportunities for retailers are significant. An example was that a few weeks ago I was at a Lund's store and when I "checked in" a message about a special nearby come up and I could go to the Bulldog NE to get a free beverage. Think of the retal possiblities for this. And most interestingly Four Square does not charge businesses for this feature.

So how could you use foursquare for one of your clients? If you are a retail business and you want to get frequency how about a reward for people who check in a few times a month - a true loyalty program because they would need to be at your store.

Yes there are the naysayers like the Rob Me site that has started publishing the whereaboouts of people and thus you could break into their house/apartment. So maybe enthusiasm should be tempered.

What do you think? Where will Four Square lead us?

No comments:

Post a Comment