Stone Arch Bridge

Stone Arch Bridge
Mill City

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What I learned at Leo Burnett

Once upon a time I worked at Leo Burnett in Chicago. It was the largest ad agency in Chicago and employed over 2,000 people. Almost as many people as lived in the little hometown I grew up in.

The first day that I went to work there is something that I will never forget. Everyone who started at Leo Burnett then got to sit and watch a grainy black and white film of Leo giving his famous "When to take my name off the door" speech. A link to the speech is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUxb8YB88o

Why was this important? Why did it make an impression on a young advertising person. One word - passion. Leo spoke from the heart in this speech and wanted to remind everyone who was working there and for the many thousands who would eventually work there that passion matters.

Every day as we go about our jobs and our personal life a good rule to live by is that passion matters. Passion is what drives us to do our very best, to go the extra mile and to do great things.

As you start each day do you think about how passion can help you do great things? Take a look at the old film clip of Leo Burnett. He was a passionate advertising visionary and he built a dynamic agency from the ground up in the depression.

Are you passionate enough in your job? Are you passionate enough in your personal life? I think those are two good questions for everyone to ponder. Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment