Stone Arch Bridge

Stone Arch Bridge
Mill City

Friday, July 9, 2010

Still going strong after 25 years


I recently read in the advertising trade press that a brand that I worked on many years ago and was part of the agency team that helped introduced it is getting some strong marketing support again after a few years with limited support.


Bull's-Eye Barbecue Sauce is a brand that I first started working on back in 1985 when I was at FCB in Chicago working on the Kraft business. I also worked on regular Kraft and Kraft Thick 'n Spicy BBQ Sauce brands. It was a fun category and a really smart group of people were involved in managing the various products.


I've been a supporter of Bull's-Eye for the past 25 years and when I buy the category I always buy Bull's-Eye. Yes I'm a loyal supporter of the brands that I've worked on.


Strategically I loved the positioning of the product of "big bold flavor" which allowed us to flank one of the new brands at that time K.C. Masterpiece. The product delivery was outstanding and the package design was terrific and it still is. At that time there was no mention of Kraft as the manufacturer as we wanted the brand to be seen as an upstart boutique brand to fight off the local competitors that were nicking into Kraft's overall share of market.


The product was a hit from Day One and continues to be on the shelf now 25 years later. It's kind of cool to sit back and reminisce about the people that worked on the brand and some of the tactics that we used to launch the brand. We did things like send the product to "stars" of the markets that we entered to get some buzz going. And we ran full-page newspaper ads with the stores that the product was located in to drive distribution.


I guess in looking back - there were smart people involved + smart marketing ideas = a long term product success. So thanks to Joe, Karen, Len, Mike from Kraft and to Terri, Linda, Gary, Marian, Dan and many others at FCB. That launch was a lot of fun.


Congrats Bull's-Eye and good luck to the teams that will carry it another 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment